CA State Library
California K-12 Digital Resources
Online content from Encyclopaedia Britannica, ProQuest research databases, and TeachingBooks are available — at school, at home, in libraries, on laptops, on phones — to all.
These three databases are provided for all California students from the California State Library.
Encyclopaedia Britannica (PreK-12)
A comprehensive interactive resource for research and learning for grades K-12. Includes correlations to California Content Standards and other valuable teacher resources. Post links directly to each school level, elementary, middle or high.
TeachingBooks (PreK-12) -- 2 minute quick start videos
One-stop resources for books you are reading and teaching, including author and illustrator interviews, lesson plans, and other enrichment content.
ProQuest (Grades 3-12)
* The icons above and main links below work for accessing these resources on your school campus. Students and staff with the district/school's off-campus access name and access codes should use the "Off-Campus Access" links below when using from public libraries or other non-school locations.
- CultureGrams - Concise social, cultural, and political information on countries, U.S. states, and provinces around the world. (Grades 3-12)
CultureGrams Off-Campus Access
- SIRS Discoverer - A general reference database providing safe, reliable, curriculum-aligned content and features for use by students and educators. (Grades 3-9)
SIRS Discoverer Off-Campus Access
- SIRS Issues Researcher - Pros and cons on 360+ (and growing) complex social issues with relevant, credible information that tells the whole story on the major questions of the day. (Grades 6+)
SIRS Issues Researcher Off-Campus Access
- eLibrary - Guided Research edition delivers one of the largest general reference collections of periodical and digital media content including more than 11,000 Research Topics (Grades 6+)
eLibrary Guided Research Off-Campus Access
- eLibrary - Database Edition General reference aggregation of periodical and digital media content with editorial guidance for novice researchers. (Grades 6+)
eLibrary Database Edition Off-Campus Access
- ProQuest Central Student - designed to bring instant results to users across thousands of journals, magazines, newspapers, videos, reports, and more. This resource brings together some of ProQuest's most used databases in education, humanities, psychology, science, social sciences, and news. (Grades 9+, IB, AP, College Prep)
Central Student Off-Campus Access
- ProQuest Research Companion - a self-guided product that supports information literacy, writing, and research skills instruction. (Grades 8+)
Research Companion Off-Campus Access
- Schools & Educators Complete - eBook subscription database of over 13,000 titles that supports English Language Arts, Science, Math, Social Studies, Health, Physical Education, Information Literacy and Technology. (Grades 9+, possibly some content for Middle School, also includes professional development content for faculty)
• National Geographic Kids Virtual Library -- Allows students to adventure in science, nature, culture, archaeology, and space.
• Gale In Context: Environmental Studies -- Broadens student understanding of environmental issues that affect people globally through topic overviews, journals, news, and multimedia content.
• Gale Interactive: Science -- Allows students to manipulate 3D interactive models to visualize and understand biology, chemistry, earth, and space science concepts.
Further details can be found in the State Library's press release. Want to see them now? Californians can investigate the Gale resources by choosing their district, library, charter or other institution to get access immediately on Gale's California K-12 Support Page.